Question:
can anybody prove to me that 1=0?
seekinghelp
2005-12-20 20:13:04 UTC
proof to me that 1=0?
Five answers:
nate
2005-12-20 20:29:32 UTC
this is a common "proof" that is often bandied about, even though it's wrong.

Let a=b.

multiply by a:

a^2 = ab

subtract b^2:

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

factor both sides:

(a+b)(a-b) = (a-b)b

cancel (a-b)

(a+b) = b

substitute a=b from the first step:

2b = b

divide by b:

2=1

subtract 1 from both sides

1=0

fortunately sanity is saved when you realize that the step where you cancel (b-a) from both sides is actually dividing by zero, since you specify beforehand that b=a. this is not so much a proof as a mathematical fallacy. see the link below for another, more complicated version of the same thing.
aditsu
2005-12-31 11:53:26 UTC
I asked the same thing, and the best answer I got was:

1 = sqrt(1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i = i^2 = -1

So 1=-1; just add 1 and divide by 2 and you get 1=0
Grouchy Dude
2005-12-23 11:57:26 UTC
No they can't, because 1 does not equal 0.
dougs249
2005-12-21 18:02:49 UTC
it does not
angelbaby