Question:
how do you determine the dimensions of a cylinder if you have the volume. We know pixr2xh = volume, wont work
cadoret@sbcglobal.net
2006-04-06 17:48:12 UTC
how do you determine the dimensions of a cylinder if you have the volume. We know pixr2xh = volume, wont work
Two answers:
genex^adz
2006-04-06 18:18:42 UTC
Volume, V = 2πrh...

Since there is only one equation, but two unknowns...

you must supply the value of one unknown (you must decide on a pre-determined value. You either decide the value for the radius of the cylinder or its height) to solve for the other dimension.
fthnature
2006-04-07 00:50:12 UTC
You need a little more information than that. You have the right formula, and pi is a constant. The problem is that you could have a really narrow and tall cylinder or a wide and short cylinder that have the same volume. You need either the radius or the height (or some way of relating the two such as the height is twice the radius) then you can solve for it.

Good luck :-)