Question:
At a university which comes first Calc or Linear Algebra?
unusual i
2009-06-01 20:34:25 UTC
I'm looking for the standard order of class for Statistics, Calc I, Calc II & Linear Algebra... If anyone who's taken these classes would elaborate on the relative difficulty of each that would great too. Thanks.
Four answers:
El Konverse Magnifico
2009-06-01 20:55:51 UTC
A course titled "College Algebra" is actually more of a remedial math course on the basic algebra taught in high school, so a course in linear algebra would be called "Linear Algebra", and sometimes at varying levels of difficulty. Your most basic linear algebra course would cover matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues, none of which requires calculus to learn, but typically examples from calculus are used for motivation, i.e. the set of all continuous functions is a vector space.

As for statistics, that depends on what level. You can knock out an elementary statistics course before you take Calc 1. A mathematical statistics course however should not be taken before Calc 3.

A good sequence would be

Elementary Statistics -> Calc 1 -> Calc 2 -> Linear Alebra -> Math Stat.
KeplJoey
2009-06-02 03:39:36 UTC
Stats and Calc 1 should be done at the same times. Calc 2 and linear algebra should also be done at the same time.
loginfliggle
2009-06-02 03:37:19 UTC
calc 1 > calc 2 > linear algebra / statistics ( they are about the same)
cattbarf
2009-06-02 03:41:27 UTC
If you are a glutton for punishment, take linear algebra with another math subject. Some people wait to grad school to take linear algebra (as I did).